Monday, January 11, 2010

Your minutiae, your perks, your perspective, my paperwork

Took a big step in completing all the paperwork I need to compile for the trip today by applying for my visa at the Korean consulate. Went fairly smoothly, although I did have to buy a new passport-style photo as I forgot to bring one of the spares from my passport application. (The new one was a much better photograph, but not nearly as comically mustachioed as the old one.) Most of the remaining preparations involve buying small electronics (what can I say, I'm a gadget junkie) and generally packing up to get out of LA. Oh, and I broke down and bought the shirt. Hope it shows up in time for the going away party (rescheduled to Sunday the 24th, by the way).

Saturday night I went to a party held by a friend of mine to celebrate his wife finally arriving permanently in LA. (She's from the Czech Republic and the move has been held up by visa problems for something like three years. Sure hope an E-2 visa to Korea is a little easier to acquire...) Thought it was ironic and kind of sad that the time between her arrival and my departure is only a couple of weeks. Saw a lot of friends I haven't seen in a while, including some that just recently moved here. I'm starting to feel a little bit like Shia Lebouf at the beginning of "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints," when he's confessing to how he abandoned all his closest friends when he left Astoria. (Of course anyone who's watched the movie knows that he did it in an effort to get away from dead-end poverty and getting shot by the Puerto Rican hoods in his neighborhood, but I digress.) I guess the downside of living, traveling, blessing, adventuring and not being sorry is that you always miss someone somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment